Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Powerful art- John William Waterhouse

So I've been getting into viewing art lately and one particular favorite of mine has been John William Waterhouse. His paintings bring me back to a time when my sister and I were playing dolls when we were younger. We would create these fantastic senarious, complete with full costumes (supplied by my mother's rag collection) hero's and heroines, horses, villians, and even music! We would spend hours, even days setting up the drama of these plays. Taking them to different destinations in our imaginations, to foreign lands, to beneath the sea. Nothing could draw us away from this fantasy world we created. We reinacted scenes from history, both being lovers of history and literature. His painting evoke a sense this sense of adventure and mystery my sister and I had. I also seem to be drawn to art portraying women. I think, what are they feeling? what emotion is he trying to convey? Are they so alike to me? Beautiful.




1 comments:

Heidi said...

oh how beautiful! I love the lady of shalot. (I think that is the name- the one with the tragic looking girl in the boat) it always makes me think of Anne of Green Gables! :) I love it.