Saturday, September 06, 2008

My recent obsession

Gustav Klimt paintings have been on my mind (and on my wall). I recently added a feature to my blogger site thinking the pictures as beautiful, knowing little about Gustav, only his most recognizable peice "The Kiss" featuring a man bestowing a rather passionate (and as some critics note-rather forceful) kiss upon his beloved. I choose to think of the kiss as a moment of sheer exstascy. The woman overwhelmed, drops to her knees, to be met by an eager kiss.
If you know any of his history he was a rather dark, distant, and somewhat morbid individual. He has few commentaries on his work, why he paints the way he does, pointing his fans only to his works of art to understand his soul. A lot of his paintings reflect mythology and feature women and men reflecting Byzantine and Greek dress. I myself, have been a fan of mythological paintings and stories, so I feel his pictures capture the beauty and sadness of mythology.
The majority of his paintings are women, which I think some are thoughtful (and be careful when researching his work- some are rather graphic!). Not all are thoughtful. He seems to capture a woman's face in different emotions, gathering light in the right angle, juxtaposing the colors just right. Personally, I like his "Golden Period" (The Kiss is from this period). The use of gold is magnificent, giving it a heavenly appeal.
David and I purchased and hung "The Tree of Life". Both of us being obessed with trees. So I keep thinking of his work, and view it regularly online.
I think paintings can reflect so much beauty and agnst at the same time its really mind bending to think of such opposite features as a whole. Though his person is downright creepy I think Gustav's paintings are mesmerising.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

they are beautiful, my eye was immediately drawn to the tree. and to the one with the woman and her baby. I am going to look at them again! :) thanks for sharing this!

Heidi said...

also, put your blogger address under your name in a signature when ever you send an e-mail. that will get more people reading this, which they should b/c it's good!