Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The movie that defined my childhood: Man From Snowy River

If I'm speaking to a fellow fan of "The Man" as I call it you are already humming Clancy's tune "hmm hmm hmmm hmmm hmm hmm..." and so on in your head. I was reminded today of my love for the movie when a friend posted quotes from it on my Twitter page. It took me back to a simpler time in my childhood. A time when I dreamed of riding with the Brumbies....My family always gew up watching wholesome movies so we didn't have many good options. Mostly they were old Don Knott's movies, Disney cartoons and the occasional classic- like The Man From Snowy River. A story about an Australian cowboy, Jim Craig, who was forced out of his mountain dwelling to defend his land, horses...and family name. (pretty good eh I just made that up). The actor in the movie, Tom Burlingson was more of a horse rider/stunt man than actor, which adds to the authenticity of his character. Sort of socially awkward, but certainly quick with the fist if you insult his integrity (remember Curly? He had it coming...) The movie is a love story, as well as an action/adventure. There are amazing horse stunts, jumps, huge cattle drives, passion and suspense. Jim's love interest- Jessica or "Jess" is one of those strong female roles a girl can be proud of. A daughter of a wealthy cattle owner she isn't a stranger to the saddle. A prideful girl but one that easily falls for a country mountain boy. The story slightly resembles the star crossed lovers Romeo and Juliet where in their love they are ostrasized from both families: Jim- the hardworking mountain men, Jess-the wealthy elite. Neither approve of the union. Jim eventually proves himself worthy of her affection by riding down and capturing the prized colt of Jessica's father. The chase of the horse is probably the best part of the movie- hundred of horse riders charge after a pack of wild horses- the Brumbies. Jim's expert horse riding skills put him in the front. The best scene is when the wild horses leap down a steep mountainside and none can follow- but Jim- who flies over the other men to charge down the mountain in a scene like no other I've ever seen in movies before. Gives me chills everytime I watch him and his horse run down a nearly vertical slope. The story always fed into my adventurous side, always wanting to discover something new. The love story was sweet, and showed that sometimes you have to stand apart from the crowd. Such an amazing story! Best line in the movie is at the end, when Jim has proven himself the best rider, the man of integrity, the man who's stolen Jessica's heart. He leaves her in anticipation, needing to take his newly won brood of mares back to his mountain home, to prepare for Jessica's arrival. He leaves her breathless with this: "There are a dozen good mares in that mob. I'll be back for them...and for whatever else is mine." Jim Craig's website :)


1 comments:

Kristen Compston said...

A beautiful tribute to Jim, I'm surprised how little your true affections for Clancey showed though.