Wednesday, September 09, 2009

kickin it old school- no cable!

OK, to my like 4 blog followers I haven't been able to post any new blogs because David and I don't have cable or internet at the home! aaahhh yes, I know, its terrible! I feel I've gone back to the dark ages, pumping water from a well, gathering crops for dinner, I have no link to the outside world at home! Ok, so its not actually that bad but I seriously feel way behind on things. When I get to work and chat with some of my coworkers I feel like I did growing up when my family never had cable! We seriously didn't get cable until I was in 10th grade. Imagine growing up without cable (Marietta, you can haha)! Pretending in middle school that I knew what MTV was, what pop up videos were, 90210, even Saved by the Bell! Granted, I did make up for lost cable-time at my best friend Shelby's house...but still I felt like a little prarie girl not having cable. I remember being embarassed when my friends came over to watch tv and I was trying to divert their attention to my swimming pool so they wouldn't find out that I was a dorky little missionary kid. OK enough of the reminicing but we're going to try and get it soon. We had to switch companies because we moved on the other side of town that has a different cable service. Mostly I miss David and I's Sunday ritual which is to watch all awesome shows on National Geographic. Thats always when the best shows were on...I missed the last part of Shark Week on Discovery, Atlanta Housewives (yes I know its rotten but they are hilarious!), Megan wants a Millionaire (don't tell me you don't watch it) and a recorded show called Raising the Bar that I've been waiting for the season to come out forever- all washed away, unseen. But on a positive note I have read like a book a week since not having cable. I've read The Other Boleyn Girl, Katherine, A Thousand Splendid Suns and Paul Revere...all in a month without cable. I've enjoyed sitting on the couch on a Saturday afternoon imaging what the costumes looked like in 14th century England, what the East coast harbor smelled like in early America, what the difference was between the Pashtu and Herati dialect in Afghanistan sounds like...Its truely been refreshing. So as an observer on the "other side" so to speak I encourage you to turn off the telly, if only for one full day, and enjoy a long awaited good read :)

0 comments: